Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Antwerp

Our final port of call was Antwerp, Europe's second largest port.


View Antwerp in a larger map

It was drizzling the entire time we were there, but I still set out for a few excursions to wander about the old town and gaze upon what our guide called one of the most beautiful train stations in the world.  I skipped the tour and explored on my own, and, despite the weather enjoyed the city.

We were docked in an overlooked and decaying part of town, with construction fences around abandoned projects, rotting buildings, and piles of rubble mixed in with dystopian high rises and corner bars.  All said, it was still an alright neighborhood and contained relics of Antwerp's port past/present/future in the last picture I was able to take with my then dead camera battery.  It is a series of identical warehouses from the early 20th century


Antwerp